Monday, July 2, 2007

In the Rutt

I have been reading the book, "3 Seconds," which talks about how we go through life doing either "whatever" or "whatever it takes." Which has had me thinking. Am I living a life of "whatever" or am I doing "whatever it takes" to live out this life? I think it's real easy to get in a rutt where ever you are at in life. You just have to be careful that the rutt doesn't become your life. It's easy to look at circumstances in our own lives and compare them to others, which allows us to lose some of the passion and drive that makes us endure through our hard times. I think that simple act of comparing ourselves to others is what keep us in the rutt. It's in the rutt where you begin to stop pursuing "whatever it takes" and begin to settle for "whatever." Have I ever been in a rutt? Sure have. I believe we all have at some point in our lives. It's not so much about whether or not you're in a rutt, as it is about how long you've been there. We have been taught that the "good life" is free of struggle and that things just happen for good without persistance or work. I think that's why when we find ourselves in a rutt, it's just seems like too much work to get out of it. It's easier to deal with the long term annoying pain than to deal with the extreme, agonizing short term pain of getting out. Take it from someone who knows, it's worth it to do "whatever it takes" to get out of the rutt. Our lives weren't meant to be lived out on accident, but instead to be lived out with purpose.

No comments: