Wednesday, June 6, 2007

All Skate


Isn't it funny how you can hear 10 seconds of a song and instantly go back in time. I was searching some tunes online and came across some Sugar Hill Gang. I was instantly at the skating rink. That was probably one of the better all-skate songs. I instantly went back to the days of pig tails and knee socks. Oh and how could I forget the skates that looked like tennis shoes. (You know what I'm talking about, the blue and yellow ones.) I never got to wear those anyways because they never came in my size. It was either rent the boring brown skates or wear the plastic ones that go over your shoes. You can guess which ones I wore. I was never really one of those super-speed skaters, but I could hold my own. Afterall we went every Saturday morning. Probably my favorite part about the skating rink was the concession stand. I thought I was so cool because I could skate up to the counter and order my food. (Go figure I would remember the food.) It never failed I would order a jump rope licorice and have it ate before I crashed back into our booth. It just amazes me how a song has the power to take me to a specific place in time. And not just recalling fun moments and memories, but even the smells. Remember how the skating rentals smelled ... nothing like stanky, stiff pleather!

No comments: