Thursday, June 21, 2007

Live in the Now


Isn't it crazy how we can get so caught up trying to figure ours lives out that we forget to live them. Sometimes I feels as though I have wasted so much time searching for answers and direction I didn't need. When I really think about it I know I didn't waste all that time but that it was time God needed to shape and mold me into who I am now. But why is it so easy to get caught up in our futures? Why can't we just be satisfied where we are at? Sometimes it seems like it's easier to live in our past than it is to live in the now.

I recently went home to visit family and friends. While I was there I got to spend some time with my grandma. She has Alzheimers and had to be put in a nursing home a few weeks ago. Everytime I see her, she changes. She remembers less and less about the past and basically has no concept of the future. As horrible as the disease is that she has, one beautiful thing is that can leave this world knowing nothing but love. All the hurts, pains and disappoints she has experienced in the past no longer have an impact on how she will live her life. Her next step is no longer controlled by the fear of her last.

After spending a couple of hours with her, it's hard not to walk away sad. It's so easy to leave her thinking of how aweful it must be to not be able to remember your family and experiences you've shared with them. But after I give her a big hug and see the sincere smile on her face, I know she's only feeling loved. I know she's living in the now.

"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." Matt. 6:34

No comments: